Friday, May 16, 2014

Makayla at 18 months

Makayla is one of the silliest, sweetest little girls I know. Here are some fun things about her this month:



-She now has a total of 7 teeth and at least one more is in the process of poking through. Her teething hasn't been TOO terrible..just a bit whiny and needy here and there. She loves to brush her teeth and does quite good at it..until the toothpaste is gone...then she wants nothing to do with it.  We have gone through WAY too many toothbrushes in her short little life because she will finish brushing when I'm not looking and give the toothbrush to George, who then destroys it. Ick!

-She is saying way more words than is expected at her age. I believe our pediatrician said 18 month-olds have an average vocabulary of 15 words. Well Makayla's says about 50. She'll even say some two word sentences. She says hi and bye to EVERYONE, including every car that drives by our house while she's looking out the window ("hi car" "bye car"). Every day she surprises us with some new word she says. Branden and I just had some fun listing all the words she can say. It's kind of amazing:

Mommy
Daddy
George (Gee)
Mimi
Baby (bebe)
Bottle
Binky   
Drink
Hot
Cold
Bike
Car
Seat
Nummy
Eyes
Nose
Toes
Belly
Hand
Cookie
Please (Peeeas?)
Ball
Princess (she says this as "pron")
Sock ("sot")
Pants ("pan")
Hat
Teeth ("teef")
Bubbles
Outside
Colors
Hair
Go
Light
On
Daniel (she says this perfectly)
Owl
Babo
Bunny
Dammit ("dannit"....yeah my bad)
Nigh-night
Shoe
Berry
Choo-choo
Tally
Outside
Bye
Hi
No
Banana
Cheese
Bibby
All Done

-I guess I should go into more detail about the "dammit" word. Yeah that's my bad. I was making oatmeal on the stove top a few weeks ago and the milk boiled over. So having the potty mouth that I do I yelled "dammit." Makayla was sitting right by and repeated it. Since then she has said "dannit" any time she spills something, drops something, etc. Mother of the year award goes to....ME!

-She is obsessed with washing her hands. Every time I am in the kitchen she will run up to me and put her arms up while begging "hand??" Which means wash hands? 


-For a while there (a couple weeks ago) she was pretty interested in the toilet. When I went into the bathroom she had to say "hi potty."  Then she would proceed to say potty over and over and over again until I left the room...at which time she'd say "bye potty!" Because of her interest we bought her a little potty of her own. She loved to sit on that thing, clothes or no clothes. One day all she wanted to do was sit on her potty, so I brought it out in the living room so I wouldn't have to sit in the bathroom with her all day. She was naked and sat on the toilet for a good 20 minutes just reading herself some stories. She has a potty story that she makes me read over and over again to her. All of a sudden she started peeing in the potty! Branden and I were so excited! We were giving her high fives and telling her what a big girl she is! But I think we made too big of a deal because she wants nothing to do with her potty now! Haha! Oh well I wasn't going to push potty training anyway until after the baby comes! But it was still neat!

-We dropped her second nap not too long ago and it has been fantastic! She now goes down after lunch and naps for 2.5-3 hours! It is so nice to be able to take a decent nap myself and still have time to myself. Selfish? Maybe. Night time sleep is about the same..she goes to bed at 8/8:30 and wakes up for the day at 7. She is still using her binky but only during sleeping time. I know I know, I need to take it away entirely! Just waiting until things settle with the new baby.



-She is a super little helper. Since she understands so much of what we are saying now, I can give her instructions such as "take this ____ to daddy" or "shut the door please" and she will do it! She likes to copy the things that I do when she has the chance (such as sweep the floor with her play broom when I am sweeping).  We were given a cute little play kitchen and she loves to play with it and pretend to cook! (She mostly stuffs the play food into the cupboards, but hey!)


-She says please and [sometimes] thank you . It is the cutest thing ever! She learned the sign language sign of please first, which is a rubbing action on your chest, but now she says the word along with the action. It's hard to not give her what she wants when she does it because it is just so sweet!

-She is a little girly girl! She loves to wear bracelets and carry her little purse around. 


-When she plays with her baby she gives her kisses and lays the baby on it's belly and says "ni-ni bebe" while rubbing it's back (makayla is a belly sleeper so I think it's cute that she puts the baby on its belly to sleep too). 



-Outside is still her favorite place to be, rain or shine! We bought her a little tricycle but she is too short for it still...darn! Since we don't have much of a yard she likes to dig in the gravel and dirt right beside our driveway. She is also content just sitting on the porch watching everything that goes on in our neighborhood...which isn't a lot. When we go to Paul and Laura's house she likes to play basketball with the guys in the backyard. Her favorite toy these days is a good old fashion ball and her princesses. She's easy to please!







Watching daddy play softball





-She still love, Love, LOVES Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood! She asks for it multiple times a day and she just lights up when he comes on. I try to limit the TV watching to one 20-minute episode a day. But sometimes I give in and let her watch two...or three! Like I said...Mother of the year award! She knows all of the character's names and waves to them all and dances in the into song. It's cute.

-Her favorite toys are a good ol' ball, her princesses, her baby, and her cape!

She is a ball hoarder
Not a great picture, but shows that she loves her baby and her cape (and dad's badge)

Makes me laugh...
She likes to color with crayons (i.e.: "colors") and also paint with mimi.



Let's see...other happenings in the last couple of months:

In March we found out that we are having a BOY! We are so lucky to get one of each! I am nervous, though. Having a girl was easy...I know girl stuff. I don't know boy stuff. It'll be an adventure!



We went to the Discovery Gateway a couple of times in March. Makayla loved the balls...go figure! The first time we went she spent the majority of time in the ball place and then a little time playing in the water. The second time she tried a little of everything!








St. Patrick's Day was fun! We celebrated a day early because I worked the day of. We had green eggs for breakfast and painted our nails green! Makayla hated her feet being touched, but we eventually got them done!

We got our sprinklers put in our yard in April! We had quite the job of picking up rocks for the majority of that month. We currently have our top soil in and we will be getting sod next week!



Easter was a blast! We had a neighborhood egg hunt in the morning at the park! There were tons of kids, it's a miracle Makayla got any eggs! But she did well and got about 8 eggs! We then went home and colored eggs and did a hunt of our own! Then we went to dinner and Paul at Laura's house.




Eating her loot!






For Mother's Day Branden and Makayla got me some chairs for the front porch! He stained them and they look fabulous on the porch! It's nice to have a place to sit while Makayla runs around outside for hours on end! But most of all it was a nice day to remember when I became a mommy.



And that's about it! I need to be better at posting more often so I don't have to try and remember all the things that happened three months ago!






No comments:

Post a Comment