So, I had my doctors appointment with Dr. Yamashiro today and I feel SO much better. He confirmed that I do have a MTHFR mutation, and told me that we will definitely treat with heparin once I become pregnant again. There are risks associated with heparin, though, and they kind of scare me. If I get in an accident, or slip on ice and hit my head, I could totally bleed out and DIE! lol! In all seriousness though, this is so scary because I drive to school and back home (2 1/2 hours each way) at least once a week, so the chances of getting in an accident are pretty high. ahh....but I guess the risk is worth it, right? Right!
So after we found out we had lost this last pregnancy, I discussed with my previous doctor about doing Cytotec rather than a D&C because there are fewer risks associated with it. She had agreed, hesitantly, and it was obvious that she hadn't prescribed the drug very often. I asked if I needed to come back for a follow-up ultrasound to determine if everything had passed with the Cytotec, primarily because that was what my midwife did with my first miscarriage. She told me that an ultrasound would be unnecessary if the placenta passes. HA! I know this will be TMI, but after the fetus passes, all sorts of junk comes out...blood clots, tissue, placenta....and they all look the same. In addition, there are so many awful emotions going on that you really don't want explore the stuff... Ok...Sorry that is gross.. Anyways, so while I was at the doctor today, he asked if I have had an ultrasound to determine that everything has passed. I told him what my previous doc had told me and he said that it is VERY common for uterine contents not to pass with Cytotec and that you should ALWAYS get a scan afterwards. If the uterine contents were to not pass, there is a very high risk of infection. So Dr.Y did an ultrasound and guess what? There is still stuff in my uterus.... So once again, my previous doctor could have further screwed me over. Golly, she just pisses me off!
Moving on.....So I now have a prescription to do a third round of Cytotec, and if it is unsuccessful I get to have a D&C on Monday. Isn't this fun? But there is hope! Dr.Y is going to do everything he can to figure out what is wrong with me. Once I have an empty uterus he is going to do an XRay on my uterus to see if I have a uterine septum....which means a wall in my uterus. I guess if the embryo implants on or near this wall, it does not get enough nutrients and eventually dies. Apparently this is a common cause of recurrent miscarriages and he just wants to rule it out before I get pregnant again. I think it is safe to say that I feel very comfortable with this new doctor. He explains everything thoroughly, asks if I have any questions (and actually waits for me to think about it), and at the end of this appointment he asked me if I was comfortable with the plan and how I am holding up emotionally after this awful time. I have never had a doctor who cared so much! It was incredible! lol! I won't lie, I was very hesitant about going to a male OB/GYN...but all of those fears went away after my appointment today!
So that is my update of my medical issues...I know it is just so exciting...ha! It makes me happy though because I am one step closer to determining what is causing the miscarriages and one step AWAY from having another one! The third round of Cytotec does suck--I will be sitting around drugged up all day tomorrow... keep your fingers crossed for me that I don't have to have a D&C on monday. I'll let ya know how everything tuns out (because I know you care so much ;)). Until next time....!
Thanks again for the Blog. And good luck.
ReplyDeleteMy sister and three sister in laws go to Dr. Yamashiro, he is a great doctor. Good luck to you, I hope he is able to figure everything out!! Hang in there :)
ReplyDeleteMy sister goes to Dr. Yamashiro and has had all three of her babies with him!! He is amazing from what I hear! :)
ReplyDelete